Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Okay, so I am updating this for a few reasons. There have recently been a few updates in my life, and I felt like I should update you on those updates. Really, I just wanted to see how many times I could say updates.

Last night, I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Mike Birbiglia's one man off-broadway show, "Sleepwalk With Me." It was free, too. I guess I should explain that. It's not free for everyone, but I was able to get a comp. ticket. Why did I get a comp. ticket? Well, did you perhaps ever stop to think that I am a more important and imposing figure than you? Yeah, I am talking to you, one of the three people who read my blog.

Nah, I'm not. Actually, here is the scoop. So, as you all know if you read my blog last time, Starbucks never called me back. Idiots. Complete idiots, that's what they are. I hope they burn themselves with their coffee. How sweet a retribution that would be, eh? Eh, what am I, Canadian? Aboot! Okay, so yeah. Starbucks never called me back after two interviews. I figured that I didn't deserve to wait on recieving a call from an establishment that clearly didn't deserve my charismatic expertise. Therefore, I began to look up jobs on Craigslist. That is something that I'd never done before. I had heard of people getting jobs through it, but I was a bit skeptical. I figured that I would find jobs for like, "Dog-crap cleaner," or "Homeless person washer." Why would I want to do those jobs? Luckily, that's not what I found.

What I found was an add to be a promoter by passing out fliers for an off-broadway theatre, or what not. It sounded interesting, and as you know I am a theatre major so I figured that it would be a nice opportunity. Well, I sent an incredibly long email explaining how great I am, and why I would be amazing at the job. I really talked myself up, but like, seriously, I deserve all the praise. I mean, look at me. I'm sexilicous. I wanna sex me up.

So I waited a few days without much hope really. Buuuuut, I got an email yesterday inviting me to come in for an interview, and then I got very very excited when I saw at the bottom of the email a sentance that said, "As part of the job, you are required to see a performance of Mike Birbiglia's new show, 'Sleepwalk With Me.' You will see this for free." Required? REQUIRED!? Required to do something so awesome as see Mike Birbiglia?! I had no flippin' idea that this job that I was interviewing for was passing out fliers for his show. No idea at all. Now, I have been a fan of him for quite some time. Infact, just a few nights before I had busted out 'Guitar Guy At The Party' for a couple of friends. As a comedy musicians, he is seriously an inspiration for myself and for Mike. My step-dad has also heard him on 98 Rock a few times, so he knows him too. I was seriously excited that I would be able to see the show for free. I'd been wanting to see Mike live for a while now, so this was perfect.

I got to the theatre for the interview, and I thought that it went very well. Well, maybe the guy didn't think it went well, but I did. Here is hoping that I get hired. I'll probably be blogging about that sooner or later. If I don't get hired, I am sure that I will have some nasty, spiteful comments to make about how my how the job would have been a limit to my blissful skills. Yes, blissful skills. Buuut, hopefully I won't have those problems and I can keep gushing about how great the interview went, and how I got the job, and how it was AWESOME! I'd rather be positive than negative.

Anyway, after the interview, the guy (Mike) gave me a free ticket to see the show that night. My plan was to stick around after the show and convince Mike to get this guy to hire me, or for him to extend his one-man show into a two-man show. Actually, I didn't think of that second option until now.. but it probably would have worked.

The show was hilarious. Seriously, even though I went for free, I really really want to go again. I'd even pay this time. I really do believe it's worth the money, so even if I don't get the job, go anyway! This has been the first off-broadway show that I've seen, and it was awesome. I've seen a bunch of Broadway shows, and this was even better than some of them. I can tell you right now, the hilarity of Mike Birbiglia ranks up there with [title of show], and Spamalot, which were the funniest shows that I've seen.

Sure, it's a small show. There aren't many props, and there isn't much of a set. The thing though, is Mike proves that you don't need all this to have a friggen fantastic show. Never once does your mind wander, he totally captures the audience for every single second that he's on stage. Heck, even the 'Turn off your cell phones' announcement was hilarious. You all need to go see the show. If you don't, then you really are missing out and I feel very sorry for you.

His comedic timing is impeccible. Honestly, I was rolling in my seat, and the roars of laughter from the tiny audience engulfed the entire room just about any time that Mike opened his mouth. My face literally hurt from laughing so much. You leave the theatre in such a good mood, it's totally worth it to see this show. Mike Birbiglia also uses google alerts, so I am really curious to see if it leads him to this blog.

Okay, so enough of my praise for it, even though I am sure that I could go on and on. After the show I waited outside, but I think that I either must have missed Mike, or he hadn't come out and it was too cold to wait any longer. I do know though, that there were two drag queens outside smoking, and then they went into the theatre. I wondered what was up with that. Found out that there was a drag show playing later that night. Oh boy.

New York City is kinda small. I mean, not in size, but like here is something. I was standing outside of the theatre right next to the Bleecker St. subway station. I was by myself in the middle of Bleecker St., some random area a little ways away from Pace. All of a sudden, like 4 of my friends emerge from the subway, and I was like woah. And they were all like, woah what are you doing here!? It was fun I tell you.

So, today is Halloween. Happy Halloween! I am going out to the parade in the Village, which was rated the number one thing in the world to do on Halloween. I'm really excited to put my junk in a box, and you surely will be seeing pictures later.

Okay everyone, take care. Happy Halloween, don't eat any candy with razor blades in them.

No comments: